To Save a Thousand Souls
By Father Brett Brannen
In what has been hailed as “a groundbreaking work” Fr. Brett Brannen compiles all the wisdom of a master Vocation Director into one volume. Using powerful and entertaining stories, the book explains in down-to-earth language how to discern a vocation to diocesan priesthood.
The book has received universal praise from bishops and vocation directors: "Fr. Brannen's book is tremendous—inspirational, imminently practical, and amazingly comprehensive. It is a clearly written 'how to' manual filled with solid advice for men discerning the priesthood. A marvelous work of immense value." - Fr. Len Plazewski, President, National Conference of Diocesan Vocation Directors
To Save a Thousand Souls is the definitive guide for men considering the priesthood. Using powerful and entertaining stories, this easy-to-read book explains how to carefully discover God’s call. To Save a Thousand Souls is used by hundreds of dioceses and thousands of seminarians. Many regard it as the standard “catechism for discernment,” with Bishop Robert Barron calling it a “classic of the genre." It has been re-printed in Europe and Asia and translated into Spanish, French, Romanian, and Vietnamese.
UPDATES TO NEW EDITION:
- Updated references to technology, internet addiction, and social media.
- Revised language about “four pillars” of seminary formation to “four dimensions.”
- Removed the section on pre-theology outside of seminary.
- Shortened the section on high school seminaries.
- Updated references to CARA studies of ordination classes.
- Added a section explaining the Propaedeutic Year (with qualifications that its implementation will vary according to diocese).
- Revised the section on the sexual abuse crisis and strengthened the passage on the absolute impediment of pedophilia and ephobophilia.
- Added an explanation of “moral certitude” in reference to discerning priesthood.
- Added additional qualifications to passages addressing same-sex attraction.
- Strengthened the emphasis on honest self-disclosure.
- Added to the section on leaving seminary in a healthy manner.
- Improved language and grammar in several sections.
- Added new inspirational quotes about the priesthood and the spiritual life.
- Removed the rosary appendix to reduce page count (will be available online).
- Updated appendix of questions
- Updated bibliography
- Updated page design and book cover.